NYFC’s Two Emergency Funds are unique scholarships providing “just-in-time” financial aid to college students who are currently in or aged out of the New York City foster care system when personal emergencies become financial crises. Through the two Emergency Funds, The Charles Evans Emergency Fund and The In-Care Emergency Fund, New Yorkers For Children is able to respond to urgent crises in an immediate and effective manner by providing financial support to students when emergencies threaten to jeopardize the completion of their studies. Students applying for either fund will be required to provide adequate documentation of the emergency leading to their need for the funds. For youth in care requests should be for expenses that their agency will not cover.
- Student is currently in care or has aged out of foster care in New York City
- Student is pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Student is enrolled in accredited 2 – or 4 – year college or university*
- Student provides a transcript with a GPA of 2.0 or above
- Student can provide documentation as to why the funds are needed
Additional requirements for Aged Out Students:
- Student is no older than 27 years of age
- Student has completed, at least, one semester at their institution
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR IN CARE STUDENTS
All applications must be submitted by an Agency staff member on behalf of the student applying so that we can have verification of the student’s foster care status. We will accept applications on a rolling basis. All applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the application for IN CARE students.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR AGED OUT STUDENTS
Completed applications should be submitted to Phyllis Brodsky for review.
Click here to download the application for AGED OUT students.
WHAT WILL THE PROGRAM FUND?
- Overdue rent or emergency housing assistance
- Overdue utility (electric, gas, water, etc.,) bills
- Necessary medical and/or dental procedures for students who are uninsured
- Book and tuition assistance
- Other emergency financial items can be funded at the discretion of the committee
WHAT WILL THE PROGRAM NOT FUND?
- Cellphone, credit card, or cable/internet bills
- Car payments and/or parking/traffic violations
- Outstanding student loans
- Legal representation
- Funds to support family members