NYFC Support Counselor
Founded in 1996, New Yorkers For Children (NYFC) protects, ensures, and promotes the safety and well-being of NYC’s children and families, with an emphasis on youth in foster care. New Yorkers For Children funds, incubates, pilots, and implements much-needed programs to improve outcomes for New York City youth in, and transitioning out of, the NYC child welfare system. NYFC’s work falls into two areas: direct scholarship programs for older youth in foster care and innovative programs that test promising practices in the NYC Child Welfare arena. In addition, to direct scholarship programs, NYFC operates a youth led youth-elected Youth Advisory Board (YAB) comprised of youth currently in foster care or alumni of foster care. NYFC partners with the New York City’s Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) and its network of non-profit foster care agencies on all programmatic work as well as over 32 community partners. NYFC manages 30+ unique grants annually on behalf of ACS as well as oversees several large-scale multi-year pilot programs delivered through community partners.
About the Position
NYFC is seeking a passionate, organized full-time professional with counseling experience to provide a range of supportive services that benefit the youth we serve as an organization. The New Yorkers For Children Youth Counselor is a multifaceted position focused on connecting the youth we serve with holistic support focused on Mental Health. The Counselor will serve as a major point of contact for youth in need of wellness support. This position will work closely with New Yorkers For Children’s current and past participants, staff, NYC foster care agencies and other external partners. The Youth Counselor will provide support for all NYFC signature programs.
The Youth Counselor tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain an active caseload of scholars and meet with scholars as required
- Provide individual counselling sessions to youth as assigned
- Offer regular group support on areas as defined
- Provide direct mental health assessment and ongoing support
- Function as an integral part of a collaborative team
- Provide case management and referrals for those needing additional services
- Complete all documentation in a timely and professional manner including: inputting case notes, data collect data for monthly, quarterly and yearly NYFC reporting as well as program evaluation as requested
- Attend weekly supervision with supervisor to ensure quality and uniformity of services
- Provide support for other youth development events
- Attend and actively participate in NYFC’s Staff Meetings, Program Team Meetings and other events
- Assist NYFC staff with the assessment of crises occurring
- Develop reports as needed on programs
- Complete other assigned tasks as needed
- Master’s degree in mental health counseling, or social work
- 2-5 years of experience working with youth post graduate
- Ability to engage young people and work from a strength-based, trauma informed lens
- Flexible and strong time management; must be able to work independently
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Motivated, self-starter who does well with direction, has strong collaborative skills and has the ability to create and lead new initiatives
- Excellent communication skills: Facilitating Groups (virtually and in-person; one-on-one and group);
- Ability to prepare accurate and timely reports
- Familiarity with these platforms: Salesforce, Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Former experience working within the foster care system a plus
The Youth Counselor is a full-time position. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, and ancillary benefits; vacation, sick and holidays; life insurance; flexible spending pre-tax plans and commuter pre-tax benefits.
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Must be flexible to work one evening per month and an occasional weekend
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a complete application package including:
- A cover letter outlining how your skills and qualifications meet the position requirements
- Three professional references with current contact information
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply via Indeed at https://www.indeed.com/job/youth-counselor-cafd54e7e04b8b73.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter and references will not be reviewed.