AmeriCorps VISTA Overview
Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is a national service program created in 1964 that places volunteers throughout the United States to help fight poverty through community partnerships; operated by The Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS), now known as AmeriCorps.
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change by living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
Since 1996, New Yorkers For Children (NYFC) has worked to fill in the gaps within New York City’s child welfare system through partnerships with foster agencies, community-based organizations, and the NYC Administration for Children’s Services (ACS). NYFC’s mission is to protect, promote, and ensure the safety and wellbeing of our city’s children and families, with a focus on older youth in foster care and those aging out. NYFC serves about 1,000 youth annually - ages 18 to 26 - through our direct scholarships, innovative pilots, wraparound supports such as academic coaching and mental health support, emergency funding, and youth development events. In addition, we also serve as a thought leader, helping to implement innovative programming to push the New York child welfare landscape forward. Overall, we aim to enroll youth in college, support them through graduation, and help them gain the skills needed to enter the workforce with the ultimate goal of breaking the cycle of poverty.
Finance VISTA Position Description
The Finance VISTA’s chief function will be to support financial and program efforts to ensure the organization’s ability to expand its services to meet pressing community needs. Reporting to both the Administrative Associate and Finance Associate, the VISTA will support Finance initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Under direction of NYFC staff, process youth requests for laptops and gift cards, including conducting initial reviews and reaching out to applicants
- Research optimal ways to digitize Back-to-School Program contacts to streamline and modernize the process
Financial (Accounts Payable) Support
- Collaborate with Finance department staff to take leadership on updating of NYFC infrastructure
- Gain understanding of Accounts Payable, Vendor Set-Up and Maintenance, Emergency Grants youth payments, vendor inquiries, and invoice approval
- Build out Finance department capacity by researching new technologies, including how to replace manual payment management with automated software and drafting a report of formal recommendations
Program Benefits & Additional Information
Length of Service: 12 months
Approximate start date: July 2022
Hybrid Schedule: NYFC operates on a hybrid schedule, three days in the office and two days working remotely.
Benefits provided through CNCS and AmeriCorps VISTA include: a biweekly living stipend of $829.36; a health coverage allowance; childcare assistance, if eligible; relocation allowance (if moving 50+ miles); an end of service education award of $6,195 paid upon successful completion; and federal loan forbearance or deferment.
Benefits provided by NYFC include: As the VISTA will work in a hybrid in-person and remote set up, NYFC will ensure that the selected candidates have a computer and Internet Access, as well as access to the NYFC database. Additionally, the VISTA will also be reimbursed for use of their cell phones (up to $75 per month), as well as be provided with a designated desk space, desktop computer and a landline phone.
The VISTA will also receive monthly transportation stipends/Metro Cards so they can get to and from the office. NYFC will also provide opportunities for additional professional development and coaching.
- Former experience in or with the foster care system a plus;
- Must have graduated from college/university or have equivalent capabilities;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Experience with accounting, data entry and/or financial analysis a plus;
- Strong organizational, attention to detail, time management, and administrative skills;
- Ideal for someone interested in pursuing a career in public administration, social work, advocacy;
- Motivated, self-starter who can follow directions but also create and lead new initiatives.
How To Apply:
All applicants must submit the application here for consideration: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=112919
You may also email Yeymi Hoffmans, Senior Director of Finance and Administration at [email protected] with a copy of your resume once your application has been submitted via the AmeriCorps portal listed above. Applicants who do not apply through the AmeriCorps portal will not be considered.